General: The U.S. Department of State expects a significant increase in passport applications in 2016 and 2017, which may cause processing times to increase. It's recommended that U.S. citizens submit passport applications and renewals well ahead of planned travel. Also, beginning January 1, 2016, U.S. citizens can no longer receive passport page inserts, so if you're running out of pages, you may want to renew now even if your passport is not expiring.

Application for US Passport while outside the United States: Applying for a U.S. passport while outside the United States is a different process from applying for a U.S. passport while inside the United States.

International Visa Wizard: The "Visa Wizard" is a guide to help foreign citizens understand which visa category might be appropriate for your travel to and from the United States.

Foreign Visitors Visa Site: Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily.

France Visitor Visa: You will need to apply for a Schengen visa unless you are from the EU, EEA or Switzerland and some other countries, including Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America.

US passport holders do not need a visa to France for a stay of up to 90 days

All passports must be valid for at least 6 months after the date of return from the trip. If a passport expires before 6 months, travelers will need to contact the US State Department to have their passports renewed.

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements in Australia
You must have a valid U.S. passport and a visa to enter Australia. Most U.S. passport holders traveling to Australia for tourism or business purposes for less than 90 days can obtain an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). The ETA is an electronic label-free visa and can be obtained at the ETA website for a small service fee. Airlines and many travel agents in the United States are also able to apply for ETAs on behalf of travelers. If you overstay your ETA or any other visa, even for short periods, you may be subject to exclusion, detention, and removal by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). You can obtain more information about the ETA, other visas, and entry requirements from the Embassy of Australia at 1601 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20036, via the Australian Visa Information Service at 905-280-1437 (toll charges to Canada apply) or the Embassy’s website.

If you are, traveling on a valid U.S. ePassport and are 16 years of age or older, you are eligible to use Australia’s automated border processing system, SmartGate, upon arrival in Australia. There is no additional enrollment process or fee to participate in SmartGate. For more information on using SmartGate and for information on participating airports in Australia, visit the website for SmartGate.

HIV/AIDS Entry Restrictions: Some HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors to and foreigners seeking permanent residence in Australia. Depending on the type of visa you apply for, the length of your stay, and your intended activities in Australia, you may be required to undergo a medical examination before the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) will issue you a visa. If during the course of the application process, you are found to be HIV positive, a decision on the application will be considered on the same grounds as any other pre-existing medical condition (such as tuberculosis or cancer), with the main focus being placed on the cost of the condition to Australia’s health care and community services. Additional information about Australian immigration health requirements can be found here. Please verify this information with the Embassy of Australia before you travel.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website. For further information about customs regulations, please read our Customs Information page.

International Driver's Permit: If an individual from the United States is visiting another country or an individual from another country is visiting the United States, an International Driving Permit will be needed to be able to rent a car in a country other than your own. Even rental car companies that have branches indifferent countries will need to see an International Driving Permit before the individual will be allowed to rent a vehicle in that country. There are several requirements that need to be met before an IDP will be issued and the permits are not valid in every country.

The International Driving Permit is a special license that is used by tourists in a different country that allows them to operate a motor vehicle in that country, without having to take the driving test required to obtain a driver's license in that country. This document indicates to the officials and rental car companies in another country that the individual has been judged competent to drive in their home country. The individual must already possess a valid driver's license in their home country and be over the age of 18 before an IDP will be issued to them.

This permit is used in conjunction with the driver's license issued by the individual's country of origin and both must be carried by the individual at all times when operating a vehicle in another country. It is not a license to operate a motor vehicle on its own. If the individual is stopped for a traffic violation in the country that they are visiting, both the IDP and the individual's personal driver’s license must be surrendered to the authorities. The International Driving Permit contains information written in eleven different languages to ensure that local law enforcement will be able to understand the information.

The permit is not extendable or renewable and is valid for only one year from the date of issue. Every time a new IDP is required, the applicant will have to complete a new application form. When applying for the permit, you must complete the application and provide two passport size photos and a photocopy of both the front and the back of your valid drivers' license.The IDP document is the size of a standard passport, complete with photograph and vital statistics.

The International Driving Permit is a must have if visiting a different country, even if the individual is not planning on obtaining a rental car in the country that they are visiting. The International Driving Permit gives the individual another form of photo identification and is printed in a number of different languages to allow local individuals to read and understand the information, a great help if other forms of identification are lost or are not understood by local officials. Because the InternationalDriving Permit is recognized in more than 150 countries around the world, it provides a valuable piece of identification for the individual and can assist the individual in times of crisis.

How to Apply for an International Driver Permit:
You can only apply for your international driving permit through the American Automobile Association (AAA) or the National AutomobileClub (NAC). You will need:

  • A completed IDP application:
    • AAA application.
    • NAC application.
  • A valid driver’s license issued by your state DMV.
  • 2 photos (must be passport-sized).
    • The backs of the photos must show your signature.
  • Payment for the applicable fee.
    • See the application for fees and accepted payment methods.

You must be at least 18 years old to apply for an international driving permit.
NOTE: You can apply by mail in most cases, but you must apply in your home country prior to traveling abroad. Contact your local AAA or NAC for more details.